Opportunities for Adventure on Kodiak Island
Opportunity abounds on The Emerald Isle for viewing wildlife including eagles, whales, sea otters, harbor seals, Steller sea lions, more than 200 species of birds, red fox, buffalo and deer.
And occasionally, the very shy Kodiak brown bear, mountain goats, and river otters. Even without the wildlife, Kodiak’s mountainous terrain, incredible wild flowers and lush greens can be stunning. www.kodiak.org
Kodiak Island is an amazing place to visit, full of wildlife and wilderness it is an absolute outdoors-man, and outdoors-woman, dream come true. Take a look at some photos of Kodiak below and then come stay with us to experience Kodiak for yourself.
Fishing – fresh and saltwater
The road system of Kodiak offers some of the world’s best salmon, trout and Dolly Varden streams and rivers. Whether you choose to fly fish or spin cast, you won’t be disappointed. If you are looking for the big one – ocean charter fishing is available and recommended.
- Memory Maker Tour and Guide Service memorymakersinak.com
- Ramblin’ on the Rock Fishing & Adventure Service email@example.com
- Saltty Fly Safaris saltyflysarfis.com (ATV)
- Adventure Guides Kodiak adventureguideskodiak.com (ATV)
Saltwater Charter Fishing Guides:
Half day, full day or multi-day charters are available for saltwater fishing. Troll for salmon, jig for halibut or simply let the downrigger do the work for you. Your charter boat captain will teach you the ropes and supply the gear and bait. But beware! When you are catching your first halibut or salmon, you are required to “kiss the fish!”
- Kodiak Island Charters kodiakislandcharters.com
- Kodiak Charters kodiakcharters.com
- Lucky Hook Charters luckyhookcharters.com
- Runnamuck Charters runnamuckcharters.com
- Magnum Charters – http://www.magnumcharters.com
- Kodiak Island Adventures – http://www.kodiakislandadventures.com
Bear Viewing – Fly-out Guide or Wilderness Lodge
Bear-viewing is one of the most popular activities on Kodiak Island. The best time to see a Kodiak bear is between June and September and the best way to do so is in the company of a knowledgeable guide. Local air taxis offer half-day and full day viewing and float trips.
Bears are rarely seen on the road system, so if seeing a Kodiak brown bear is an important component of your Alaska experience, plan ahead, select a guide, and book your bear-viewing experience several months in advance.
Bear Viewing Guides
- Sea Hawk Air seahawkair.com
- Island Air Service kodiakislandair.com
- Kingfisher Aviation kingfisheraviation.com
- Andrew Airways andrewairways.com
- Harvey Flying Service harveyflyingservice.com
Bear Viewing Wilderness Lodge
- Kodiak Brown Bear Center kodiakbrownbearcenter.com
Kodiak is the Home Port to the largest fishing fleet in the USA – you are welcome to walk the docks and see the fishing boats in harbor – The Maritime Museum has provided a number of story boards around the main down-town harbor that describes the different fishing boats. (Many times you can see several of the boats from Deadliest Catch in the harbor).
Beach Combing is an ideal way to see some magnificent Kodiak scenery from the road system – I can direct you to several area beaches for beach combing – (you will need to provide transportation)
Hiking is great all along the road system, there is a great hiking guide available through Discover Kodiak www.kodiak.org – it is put out by the Kodiak Island Trails Assoc.
- Galley Gourmet dinner cruises Click Here for More Info
- Helios Sea Tours – Marine wildlife viewing – kodiakrivercamps.com
- Alaska Wilderness Adventures (Kodiak’s Wild Side) Kayaking! Marine Wildlife Viewing! //kodiakswildside.com
- Adventure Kodiak adventurekodiak.com
- Kayak Kodiak http://www.kayakingkodiak.com
- Baranof Museum – baranovmuseum.org
- Alutiiq Museum – explore 7,500 years of Kodiak’s history – alutiiqmuseum.org
- Kodiak Military Museum – kadiak.org
- Kodiak Maritime Museum – kodiakmaritimemuseum.org
I recommend to all guests they rent a vehicle while on Kodiak as there is so much to see and do that to be with-out your own transportation is a disservice to you.